Readvertised: Individual Consultant: Learning Assessment and Learning Programmes Support, DHR, 11 months
Work type: Consultancy
Location: United States
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), with headquarters in New York City, provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries. UNICEF's work is carried out in 192 countries through country programmes and National Committees. Some 88 percent of the organization's posts are in the field. There are 36 National Committees, eight regional offices and country offices worldwide, as well as a research centre in Florence, a supply operation in Copenhagen and offices in Tokyo and Brussels.
In an effort to measurably improve UNICEF’s ability to deliver better results for children, and to also support the Human Resources transformation strategy, the Division of Human Resources(DHR) has embarked on a transformational process in a number of key areas, including effective talent acquisition, solid talent management, and quick deployment of staff, and robust performance and career management. DHR is partnering with line managers and sharing ownership and accountability for people management on the basis of clearly defined roles and responsibilities. DHR client service are working to be more direct, more consistent and better resourced across all regions and countries.
With the HR Reform being fully launched, there is the continued need to build the capacity of HR practitioners across the organization, so they can be the key champions for this change management movement.
In addition to all of this, in 2018, Learning and Development (L&D) Section inherited the development and coaching programmes for the Senior Staff and Leaders Political and Economic briefings, Leadership Programmes for Deputy Representatives and two yearly 360 assessment and coaching.
Furthermore, the Executive Director has created new impetus for the completion of Leadership programmes including yearly 360 Assessment and Coaching for all staff in leadership positions (Senior Staff Review – SSR) As such, the Learning and Development (L&D) Section has been working to expand its Management and Leadership learning programmes beyond New Representative Orientation, and Management Masterclass to include Leadership Transitions Coaching Interventions, yearly 360 Assessment and Coaching for all SSR staff, Critical Skills for National Staff etc. These are also in addition to existing Language programmes, Blended Interviewing Skills training, and HR Certification Programme for HR staff.
Given the extraordinary workload that the L&D Section is expected to undertake during 2019 and beyond, this TOR seeks the services of an individual consultant to provide key support to the L&D section for the timely administration of 360 Assessments and Coaching, development, implementation and evaluation of specific deliverables throughout 2019.
Tasks and Scope of Work
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Learning, provide ongoing support to HR Managers providing staff with access to 360 Degree Feedback Assessment and debriefing and follow up coaching.
The consultant shall undertake the following tasks:
Oversee and support 360 Assessments
· Act as the focal point for matters relating to the 360 Degree Assessment as assigned. Whilst ensuring that the 360 Degree process is followed diligently and that all participants are supported and monitored. This will require engaging with HRBPs, ongoing email and telephone support;
· Work closely with the service provider (currently Envisia UK) to coordinate the logistics and administration of 360 assessment for UNICEF staff members. This includes keeping an updated participant list as related to specific programmes, sending follow up emails to participants including target dates, following up with Envisia and participants on progress, responding to staff inquiries promptly, regarding these process (theoretical and technical) and on progress etc
· Oversee the 1-hour debriefing coaching process through following up with participants on booking their 1-hour debriefing coaching meetings etc
Oversee and support Coaching
· Support the recording, monitoring of uptake and progress of individuals participating in coaching programmes.
· Liaise with participants and coach to ensure that appointments are not missed and cannot be rescheduled, incurring a cost to UNICEF
· Once coaches are identified, work closely with the service providers (currently TPC and Individual Coaches) and staff member (when required) to facilitate the smooth administration of coaching programmes - individual and team coaching. This includes keeping an updated participant list as related to specific programmes, supporting the HR Manager in responding to staff inquiries regarding these processes and on progress as requested etc
· Support the communication process with coaches to ensure that changes in priorities / direction that may affect their work is communicated.
Ensure the provision of Data Reporting and Analysis
· Support accurate recoding and reporting of participants engaging in 360 Assessments and Coaching.
· Provide fortnightly monitoring update reports for various target groups to track progress and completion of coaching and 360s Assessments. Take follow up action with assigned participants keeping HR Chiefs / Managers and HRBPs where relevant on copy. Information should be broken down to:
§ Specific programmes
§ Names, titles, grade levels, duty stations, gender, key dates etc.
· Support the evaluations of coaching and training programmes assigned.
· Consolidate and assimilate as relevant evaluation reports of coaching and assigned training activities to distil and present on key findings to strengthen management decisions and lessons learnt. Develop graphical / visual aids to support presentation of information.
· Support the sections actions on meeting it organizational accountabilities on reporting on learning programmes
Development and Support of specific elements of Learning section’s initiatives
· Conduct research on assigned topics.
· Support and guide HRBPs to facilitate their understanding of programmes and to facilitate their interaction with clients.
· Support the analysis of data as requested including the development of visual aids to support team’s initiatives
These processes are a critical component of UNICEF Management and Leadership programmes and need to be carried out in a timely, professional and consistent manner, for the results to be useful for current staff development and organizational learning. Given the importance of this programme for the capacity development of staff, clearly established and streamlined processes need to be in place that are user friendly, reliable and efficient.
Qualifications and Requirements
§ Advanced university degree in Human Resources Management, Education, Business Administration, Statistics, International Relations or a relevant field. First Degree would be accepted in lieu of professional experience and relevant professional certification.
§ The individual should be proficient in a range of PC/web applications, including but not limited to: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, and Lotus Notes.
§ At least 5 to 8 years relevant work experience including knowledge of 360 Assessments and Coaching approaches, research, design and evaluation of learning programmes. Experience in working with senior staff is required.
§ It is preferable that the individual has experience of working with international institutions. Knowledge of UNICEF context essential. Knowledge of UN common practices in HR is an added advantage.
§ Experience in coaching leadership/senior staff is an advantage.
§ Public Sector/Non-Profit sector experience in implementing leadership-management skills development programmes would be an advantage.
§ Proven record of designing and delivering adult learning programmes in leadership development, and experience in cross-cultural and multi-team environments.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
§ Knowledge of human resources policies, practices and procedures and ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and meeting results.
§ Ability to communicate with staff from diverse background and at senior levels.
§ Ability to articulate key ideas and messages and provide feedback, both verbally and in writing
§ Able to deal with conflict and challenging staff members and create a positive working environment across multiple regions
§ Strong drive for results and able to meet tight deadlines; ability to move projects forward in a positive and professional manner
§ Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills
§ Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
§ Good judgment, initiative, high sense of responsibility, tact and discretion.
§ Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to establish harmonious working relations in a multicultural environment.
§ Fluency in English Language. Proficiency in a second UN Language (French, Arabic, Spanish etc.) would be an advantage.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UN Spouses are encouraged to apply.
This is a partially Home Based Consultancy with occasional
This is an extension of the advertisement of the post. Previous applicants need not apply as their original applications will be considered.
Advertised: 05 Apr 2019 Eastern Daylight
Applications close: 26 Apr 2019 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time